Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Rental SCAMS, BE AWARE!

      As some of you have already been following on my facebook page, I have encountered a rental scam on my own personal home.

     This started a few weeks ago, when I was receiving phone calls on my home that is up for sale and for rent. People were claiming that a man they spoke to said it's his home and he was renting it for $1100 including utilities. Mind you...I have it up on every website for $1600 a month! He had it advertised on Craigslist, Trulia and other sites that he was the point of contact. Once someone contacted him about it, he would tell them all the details of what he has done to the home etc and then proceed to tell them to drive by the home to check it out. If they liked it, he would send them an application. This is what it looks like:

 RENTAL APPLICATION FORM

The Landlord acknowledges the Confidentiality of this Document.


Full Name:______________

Home Phone: ( ) _____________

Date of Birth:___________

Other Phone: ( ) _____________

Current Address:_____________________________

Reasons for Leaving:____________________________Rent $:_____

Home Address you are interested in moving to:_____________

Are you married:_________

How many people will be living in the house:_______________

Do you have a pet:_________________

Do you have a car:_____________

Occupation:____________________________

How long do you want to rent this home:_____________________

Move In Date:___________________________

Do you have the payment with you:____________________

Reference Contact Name and Address if Any:_____________________


NOTE: The proper maintenance of the house and good behaviour is
important to the landlord

Fill every portion and send back asap.


Regards
Landlord



     After quite a few phone calls from people driving by the house and calling me after seeing my sign, I took the matters into my own hands and started texting and emailing him that I was interested in renting the home. I received many text messages from him and emails, as he was very responsive. Here are a few emails I received from him.

From "Capt Rody"

Find attached document which is the lease agreement attached with my department of state ID card and certificate of ownership of the house. Go through the lease agreement, print and sign your portion of it. (Lease was attached)

From Me "Lucy" when I noticed the lease had a property address for Utah.

I will review with my husband in the morning...  I have a question,  the certificate of ownership is for a house in UTAH?  What is that?
 
Lucy

From "Capt Rody"

Oops sorry, that was a mistake. I have another property in Utah. Do you mind I re-do the lease. Please disregard my mistake.

Here is a quick view of the fake lease he made up:



From "Capt Rody"

Hello Lucy,

     Your application has been reviewed and approved. I will proceed to making you the lease agreement and send once im done with it. Like i said, Im in the service and currently at the barracks. Im afraid i will not be able to meet with you until i confirm your deposit payment with me after which i will schedule a meeting with you depending on how soon you are able to send your deposit. However, it is your deposit payment that will stand as proof of why im leaving the barracks. That way my commanding officer would understand that my tenant need to meet with me for the keys to the house and signing of the lease since you've already made a deposit payment. For confirmation, all you need to do is go to a Walmart store and purchase a Green Dot Money Pak equivalent to the deposit amount which is $705 and send me the numbers. Pls keep the card and remember to bring it with you when coming to the house.

Do let me know when you will be sending your deposit as im in the process making your lease agreement. Also, it is pertinent for you to know that deposit is refundable if it happens that you don't like the house after viewing it so you have nothing to be worried about. Get back to me as soon as possible.

Regards
Landlord



       PLEASE be VERY careful about who you speak to when it comes to renting a home. I will keep you informed on anymore progress I make with "Capt Rody". EVERYONE needs to be aware that such things as this, happen more often than we realize.

 
 
Karen M. Riscinto PA, CDPE
Multi-Million Dollar Producer 2013
Million Dollar Producer 2010-2012
 
Vangie Berry Signature Realty- Realtor, Branch Office Manager
Florida Lifestyle Property Management, llc - Owner/Property Manager
(Branch Office)
108 E. 3rd Ave 
 Mount Dora, FL 32757
 
(Vangie Berry Signature Realty Main Office)
2605 # C Kurt Street
Eustis, Florida 32726
352-742-7355 Office
 
 For all your "OUT OF THE BOX" Real Estate needs!

No comments:

Post a Comment